Monday, February 13, 2012
Chat Roulette
It's been a few years since I have jumped on Chat Roulette. A few years back, I remember a few friends and I went on for the first time when we lived in the dorms. We had heard how crazy this idea was and the amount of ridiculous stuff you would see on it, whether it was crazy people doing stuff, or meeting actual stars and celebrities. It was eye-opening to see how easily to could connect to a random person in the world with a simple click of the button. Back then, we went on as a joke, laughing at the amount of ridiculous stuff people do on the website, and often times, we participated and reacted to such things. However, the original "use" of Chatroulette quickly turned inappropriate. I found myself closing out of windows or quickly skipping over many creeps and disgusting people doing inappropriate things. As a community video website, I really enjoy the idea, but without monitoring and censorship, it quickly became an unpleasant experience. I can definitely see how this easily can be categorized as part of the technopanic. Something turning from a morally good standpoint to something immoral and wrong.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment