Sunday, March 18, 2012

McKaye Whiteside - Google Search

This is not the first time I have Googled myself but it has been a while since I last checked what popped up for my name in Google Search. The first link to pop up was a news story from when I went to school in Alabama. Unsurprisingly there were quite a few links to different social networks I belong to (LinkedIn, Twitter). Much to my [positive] surprise, my Facebook profile didn't show up under the search; My profile is mostly private but I was still surprised something didn't come up because I vaguely remember seeing it when I've Googled myself before. I was also surprised that none of my Facebook pictures surfaced when I looked at the images. Again, there were images from my Twitter and LinkedIn profiles and pictures I have "pinned" on Pinterest.

It was interesting to see what was out there for the public to see about me, although unsurprising. I find we are constantly bombarded by information about everything that can be found about us on the internet, so I was expecting slightly more than there actually was. I do think we all need to consider what we are putting on the internet and the impact that can have on our "public" image.

I find it thought-provoking that so many things come up when I search for my name. If it weren't for social networking, I would not have done anything noteworthy enough to be mentioned on the internet. I remember Google searching myself in highschool before I had a Facebook or any other social networking profile and all that came up was name mentioned in passing for being on a school team. Now that information is no where to be found and my social networks take up 2 pages of results. I am excited to search my name again in the future and see what changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment