Monday, March 26, 2012

Online Copyright Experience

My online activities have been somewhat affected by copyright rules. When I lived in the dorms, I couldn't download music because of very strict rules on resnet, and I don't really download music anymore. I tend to get it from friends - sharing offline is legal, but online isn't, right? :P

One strange issue I have is on YouTube - some videos aren't licensed to be played on mobile YouTube (on phones), and they always seem to be the ones I want to watch.

I've never been "caught" downloading anything illegally, but my brother has been several times (and sent "cease and desist" notices from his ISP), so that makes me a little wary. I definitely watch "illegal" streams of sporting events on occasion, specifically soccer games, but in my eyes it's the site's host that's in the wrong, not me. And if the game isn't even available in the US, is it really so bad to stream it online?

No comments:

Post a Comment