Monday, April 16, 2012

Blog Post 6

Hulu v. Youtube

For this blog post I decided to watch South Park and compare those experiences. On Hulu I encountered about 5 ads per episode, each one occurring at predetermined intervals. On Youtube I wasn't able to watch full episodes, but the ads were less and the some of the videos that did have ads gave you the option of skipping it after about 5 seconds. Normally, I use Youtube when I'm watching videos, and usually the videos I do watch only require about 5 minutes of your attention, anything longer is less appealing. I won't front like I don't watch TV online, I just don't watch TV on Hulu. I get the feeling that they're selection of videos is always limited because they want to channel you into pay-to-play Hulu+. The internet is so vast, if you really wanted to watch a video without restrictions you can find it....for free.

I think Youtube is also focused more on the uploader, because of this I think Youtube has a more personalized feel than Hulu. The lines of communication between producer and consumer are more open than those on Hulu. Most of the videos on Hulu are distributed by larger media corporations so the lines of communication aren't as favorable for direct dialogue as they are on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment