I think that presenting my practicum project to the class has provided new insight into my project and given me a slightly new perspective. Before my presentation I had been feeling as though the online support groups were a good social outlet for people going through similar issues, but not necessarily an ideal place for providing recovery resources. However, in talking to the class, I think it is important to note the anonyminity of these online sources. The online support groups are the perfect place for people who have chosen not to go to live AA meetings (or something similar) due to a variety of reasons. I think that this is a close second option. Although they aren't getting professional help/care, they do gain support and hopefully the encouragement or self-motivation in these places to pursue more recovery tactics.
I also think that the online support groups as a supplement to more professional care is an important aspect of the resource. They have a place to go for support all the time. Whether they are at work, home, out with friends if they need some quick conversation with someone who knows what they are going through it's at the tip of their fingers. I also think that the more opportunities that they have for networking with people who are also staying sober, the better their chances of recovery are. If they build the strong friendships/connections that I have seen in the chatrooms and forums I think those are very valuable relationships.
It also serves as a journal for the addicts. The ability to write out how they are feeling and get some feedback from a variety of "anonymous" people its almost like an advice-giving journal. They can write whatever they feel/think without shame or the risk of ridicule. In return they gain helpful advice/support/references. As a result, they feel comfortable advising and helping others when they go through similar situations. The more time I spend on the sites, the more valuable I believe they are.
No comments:
Post a Comment