I am examining the media sharing website Soundcloud for my practicum project. I decided on this site because of its innovative features in regards to music sharing and distribution, especially among the everyday musician. I, myself made an account on it roughly a year ago when the site was stil very new and detached from popular internet sites. Initially, many of the social features it offers today were not around when I first signed up, and I used it primarily as a way of archiving or backing up my raw music files to a free server online rather than on one of my harddrives that could fail for whatever reason. Much of my music has stayed there frozen in time over the past year, but as I noticed Soundcloud's presence on the every day web begin to grow, I became more interested in how it had developed over time.
For this project, I'm exploring some of these new social features that allow people to not only upload their music and podcasts, but also act as an active audience that can provide artists with immediate, first-hand critiques, reviews, suggestions and comments directly "onto" the music itself. I will explore how this works in my second post, but for now, without knowing much of anything about it, I urge people to go there and check it out for themselves. If you are a music lover, it might even become your new go-to spot for fresh music you literally can't find anywhere else. The vast majority of the music there is uploaded directly by the artists themselves, right from their own computers.
No comments:
Post a Comment