Being Puerto Rican, the issue surrounding Puerto Rican independence is one that I confront almost daily. I figured this project would give me incentives to expand my communications with other Puerto Ricans, but the Latino community is so diverse that just throwing out that question on a forum didn't necessarily mean people would respond or even gravitate towards it. I browsed a couple videos on Youtube that had to do with Puerto Rican independence and was hopeful that I would engage in substantive conversations on message threads. However, what I found was a lot of trolling. Matter of fact that's all I remember from those message threads, which means that the trolls were succeeding in detracting from the intended messages of the videos.
I recently joined migente.com; mi gente is Spanish for my people. It essentially a website geared toward Latino/as. The whole layout of the website is aesthetically similar to Facebook, at least pre-timeline facebook. Because of this it is relatively easy to navigate around. I joined a chat for titled "30 somethings" because that was the only chat group that had people in it. When I entered it was a little hard to adjust to the pace at which everyone communicated, which left me a little frustrated. I didn't stay on too long, as I felt weird talking to a bunch of supposed 30 year olds. It was my first time in a group chat so I think its going to take a little bit of time to get adjusted to the dynamics.
Here's an image of the chatroom layout

No comments:
Post a Comment