Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Senior Citizen Internet Users- Two

In addition to helping my Grandma set up an email account, I made her a Facebook page. She wanted to get one because her sister, who lives in Virginia, encouraged her to so she could see pictures of family and stay in touch with people out of state. My Grandma was excited about those aspects of it, but she also had a lot of concerns about privacy, which I think a lot of senior citizens worry about when online.
She didn't want to list any of her work experience, and basically left all of the personal information sections blank. She did want her birthday on there, which was kind of surprising given the tendency of older women to keep their ages secret, but then again, who doesn't like receiving birthday wishes on their Facebook wall?
She also didn't want a picture of herself on her page. She had the space blank for awhile, but recently had me upload an image of Milwaukee Brewers retro symbol. Shortly thereafter, her sister commented on her wall that she should've had me put a picture of her up there. I responded, "She doesn't want everyone on Facebook to be jealous of her beautiful face." An attempt at flattery, sure, but it also got my Grandma to respond (without my assistance), "Nicholas, a true grandson through and through." So she is getting better at the general concepts involved with Facebook, and has even made a few of her own status updates. 
Right now, most of her page is filled with videos of inspiring stories or cute animals that she 'liked', but she is also interacting more with her friends and family, few of whom are her age, proving that she is at least somewhat advanced in computer knowledge compared to her close peers. But she still seems reserved in "branching out" on Facebook. She only has 15 friends, even though she knows others on there quite well, so I think she probably just isn't sure how to add someone. I'll help if she asks.
The sister that got my Grandma interested in Facebook uses the site pretty well and has a fair amount of knowledge about how everything words. The sister is only four or five years younger than her, but she is still working, while my Grandma is retired. The sister got training with computers at her job, something my Grandma never really received. That extra work with computers and the internet gave her sister a few years head-start, so I assume my Grandma will get a firmer grasp on computers, the internet, and Facebook, in particular, if she uses them consistently. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nick. Reading your post reminding me of my mom and all of my aunts who are on Facebook. I have noticed that the majority of the content on their walls consists of quotes, or pictures as well as playing the games Facebook offers. A lot of my aunts also use pinterest and that shows up on their walls. I think there is a pretty clear divide between generations on Facebook. I think it is clear that our generation is more interactive and more involved on facebook but they older generations are making a push to catch on

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post also reminds me of my parents. My parents made accounts to communicate with me since they are in Korea. For that reason they are barely active on Facebook. I have not seen them updating their status or doing any Facebook activities other than writing on my wall. Maybe it's because of the fact that Facebook is too complicated for my parents, or maybe it just can be the fact that they feel no importance of Facebook other than as a way of communication with me.

    ReplyDelete