Even now I am having trouble being able to leave a comment directly to a post but, this is in response to Nick's practicum project. I love that you are having some luck finding evidence of seniors online. You know the saying, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"? I don't believe that for a second. I do believe that older generations have a lot more trouble acquiring the skills to becoming tech savvy but I do believe it is possible.
My grandmother is 86 years old and lives out in a retirement community in Arizona. Although my grandma doesn't own a computer herself, I was surprised to learn from her that several of her friends in the community do in fact own computers and have internet connection. So whenever my grandma plans a trip to Wisconsin, she'll pop over to her friend's home to print off her boarding pass. My grandma can still easily access what she needs through her friend's computer, she has told me though that she feels no need to get a computer for herself. I wonder then if it is society's influence on our generation that has made us so attached to these technological devices.
I have never truly asked myself why it is that I need my cellphone with me wherever I go. Is it societal influence or personal preference? I can't honestly say.
No comments:
Post a Comment