Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Social MOO #6

Success!! I managed to find players in LambdaMOO! The funny thing though is that the players I found to talk to were all players who generally played on other MOOs, not this one. The person I talked to the most was a programmer who was testing commands and such the whole time I talked to him. There is so much jargon around the game when you talk to regular players. Half the time I only had a small idea of what they were saying, but they were still interesting to talk to. I told them that I was doing a project on MOOs and asked them about their experiences. They mostly said that they were playing the MOO during it's dying days. They said that some other MOOs were more active, but that Lambda was the most active social MOO. They also told me how to get to one of the places that people most often hang out here, and the conversations when I went there were... interesting. There were lots of innuendos and just blatantly inappropriate comments. I didn't interact when I went into this room, I just observed because the conversation was a bit too intense for me. I plan on going to this room again in the future and seeing what interactions I can have with people there.

1 comment:

  1. The contrast between your game and my game (Secondlife) is pretty funny. The fact that it is a struggle for you to find and interact with people is something I never have a problem with. Second Life is so big and there are so many members that no matter where you go in the game, you are likely to encounter at least a few people. I get where you are coming from when you say that you didn't want to interact with people when you got into the room. I have experienced that same problem. Either way im sure it's nice to have finally found some people to interact with!

    ReplyDelete