Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Google Yourself
For many years now it has been a hobby of mine to google myself and my family members in order to learn new information on people, or to see the extent of information available about people on the internet. Personally, there is quite a lot of information about myself on google and I am not sure whether I should view this as a positive thing or a negative thing. On google you are able to find what high school I went to, what sports I played and how I did in those sports (swimming times and basketball stats), the names of my family members, where I live, the name of a CD I sang backup on when I was 7, where I went to camp, my facebook/myspace/livejournal, and almost everything else I have put on the internet. For things like family member names, where I live, my high school, or my social media sites, I believe the access google has to private information and the ability they have to promote these websites that contain this information is quite unbelievable and I feel that this definitely, in some way, breaches my rights to privacy. At the same time, there are also good things about google searches, for example when I am 40 I will be able to see how many points I scored in a high school basketball game, I also sometimes use google to conduct research on family members who have deceased and I never had a chance to meet. For example, on google I discovered a list of my great-grandfather's favorite films, and as a film lover and comm arts major, this list had a huge impact on my life and my taste in films.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment