I have had a lot of fun doing this project. My main focus through out the semester has been my work on my mix-tape Lil Peppa. I've never posted on wikipedia before and what better to than on the mashup page as a little tribute to what I have done. I do a sort of commentary addition under the "remix" category in the mash up post. I was confused why such a broad category would be a sub-section to a specific type of remix but whatever.
My addition...
"All mashups are remixes yes, but not vice-versa. Mashups are a category of remixes but only on the most basic level. Remixes can combine songs but it in addition they add other original layering to make the song more of a transformative work. An example of a popular remix artists that primarily remixes single songs but also mashes songs are The White Pandas. The chicago-based duo has emerged as one of the biggest upcoming DJ's. Their latest full length mash "Pandamonium" has received over 1 million downloads."
I don't really like the idea of posting on wikipedia especially with all the privacy settings I lose because of it. Since I am not registered to Wiki my addresses and IP number are stored as public records. Regardless of how I feel about posting I do think it does conclude this project well, sharing a glimpse of what I have been researching and spending the bulk of my time doing this semester.
"All mashups are remixes yes, but not vice-versa. Mashups are a category of remixes but only on the most basic level. Remixes can combine songs but it in addition they add other original layering to make the song more of a transformative work. An example of a popular remix artists that primarily remixes single songs but also mashes songs are The White Pandas. The chicago-based duo has emerged as one of the biggest upcoming DJ's. Their latest full length mash "Pandamonium" has received over 1 million downloads."
I don't really like the idea of posting on wikipedia especially with all the privacy settings I lose because of it. Since I am not registered to Wiki my addresses and IP number are stored as public records. Regardless of how I feel about posting I do think it does conclude this project well, sharing a glimpse of what I have been researching and spending the bulk of my time doing this semester.

Nice write up, I haven't heard mashups in awhile. They seemed to be pretty popular when I was in high school. I remember the first album I heard from A-Trak was his "Dirty South Dance" project, and much of it was remixing. I agree with your thoughts on mashups and remixes. There was a group in Chicago (They're still around) called Flosstradamus who had gained notoriety by remixing and mashing up pop songs with local Chicago artists like Hollywood Holt and Mic Terror.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite mashup album of all time though is the Grey Album. I think the concept behind it was incredible. A lot times I find myself cringing at mashups that don't build the sound around the vocals and vice-versa. However, Dangermouse did a really good job creating a sonically cohesive project. I think the most successful mashups are the ones where you don't notice the mashup.
Yeah I agree, dangermouse is dope; the grey album was the first of his works I ever heard. From his mashup album I looked to his other stuff and found a side project his does with the lead singer of the shins james mercer called broken bells. Their self titled album is awesome definitely worth a listen, it'll make finals a little less stressful.
ReplyDelete