Wow, editing is hard. Until recently I have only touched the surface of the potential final cut pro has to offer. Fresh off of intro to film 355 I falsely assumed I had a great grasp of the editing software. Although I have done serveral shorts this semester that I am proud of, I always feel that the production aspect of them could be greater. For the past couple of weeks I have taken to my own devices to get a greater understanding of the software I have been working with for close to 8 months already. I've spent hours already trying to make sense of what I can controll and slowly it is all coming together. It is amazing what you can learn from youtube videos. Getting into the film industry is hard and it is nice to see so many "professionals" putting out very in-depth tutorials on youtube for exposure purposes. I have learned a lot from this one particular user on youtube "reelcleverdotcom". It took me awhile before speaking up on these youtube walls to ask for a more personalized help when certain problems arised "reelcleverdotcom" was actually helpful and after waiting two days to respond we had a brief but informative conversation on how specifically I can work on my color correction problem. I have never learned or tried to color correct a shot in final cut before. As you can see on the screen shot I took from a video project I'm working on a lot goes into color correcting a shot. The tools in final cut allows the user to control every aspect of the shots color. You can work with the color wheel where you can pinpoint with a brush any color in the frame and change it to your desired color. Under the color wheel there are the basic options of saturation, bulking or thinning the mids (skin tones), blacks and whites in the shot. The small view finder (all the way to right) constantly updates in real time when corrections are made but it is difficult to tell what looks right. "Reelcleverdotocm" was really helpful for this and taught be the very basics of the histogram and waveform that allows me to see what blacks are true black, if the skin color matches everywhere, and so on. A lot of this process of trial and error learning took many hours longer than it would have been with an instructor or anyone I could talk to in person. I realized hours after I went in indivually and corrected each shot of my short film I am working on that the shots don't allign with each other well. Meaning when I quick edit shots together it doesn't look right; each shot had a different exposure and I corrected the skin differently so it all looked off. I took my problems to the IMC in vilas where I learned the rest of what I know on final cut pro. I learned how to use view finder (picture below) which enables me to see multiple shots at the same time to make editing a lot easier. I can now base color corrected shots off of previous ones and edits are more cohesive now. It has been a lot of fun using this program, let me know if anyone needs help with it!Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Practicum Post: Editing Problems
Wow, editing is hard. Until recently I have only touched the surface of the potential final cut pro has to offer. Fresh off of intro to film 355 I falsely assumed I had a great grasp of the editing software. Although I have done serveral shorts this semester that I am proud of, I always feel that the production aspect of them could be greater. For the past couple of weeks I have taken to my own devices to get a greater understanding of the software I have been working with for close to 8 months already. I've spent hours already trying to make sense of what I can controll and slowly it is all coming together. It is amazing what you can learn from youtube videos. Getting into the film industry is hard and it is nice to see so many "professionals" putting out very in-depth tutorials on youtube for exposure purposes. I have learned a lot from this one particular user on youtube "reelcleverdotcom". It took me awhile before speaking up on these youtube walls to ask for a more personalized help when certain problems arised "reelcleverdotcom" was actually helpful and after waiting two days to respond we had a brief but informative conversation on how specifically I can work on my color correction problem. I have never learned or tried to color correct a shot in final cut before. As you can see on the screen shot I took from a video project I'm working on a lot goes into color correcting a shot. The tools in final cut allows the user to control every aspect of the shots color. You can work with the color wheel where you can pinpoint with a brush any color in the frame and change it to your desired color. Under the color wheel there are the basic options of saturation, bulking or thinning the mids (skin tones), blacks and whites in the shot. The small view finder (all the way to right) constantly updates in real time when corrections are made but it is difficult to tell what looks right. "Reelcleverdotocm" was really helpful for this and taught be the very basics of the histogram and waveform that allows me to see what blacks are true black, if the skin color matches everywhere, and so on. A lot of this process of trial and error learning took many hours longer than it would have been with an instructor or anyone I could talk to in person. I realized hours after I went in indivually and corrected each shot of my short film I am working on that the shots don't allign with each other well. Meaning when I quick edit shots together it doesn't look right; each shot had a different exposure and I corrected the skin differently so it all looked off. I took my problems to the IMC in vilas where I learned the rest of what I know on final cut pro. I learned how to use view finder (picture below) which enables me to see multiple shots at the same time to make editing a lot easier. I can now base color corrected shots off of previous ones and edits are more cohesive now. It has been a lot of fun using this program, let me know if anyone needs help with it!
Labels:
Ben Roif,
practicum 6
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment