Sunday, April 8, 2012

Practicum 3 - Caitlin Lundquist

Discussion Question:

What attracts you to a news paper website? Do you like when the site is interactive and asks for your opinion, or do you prefer one that is slanted to with your political preference?

Fox News is the only website that does not have a newspaper counterpart, rather it has a television news station. This difference is evident in their site because their landing page contains many more videos than either the Huffington Post or the New York Times. Other than that difference, Fox News follows a very similar format as the other sites. When you reach the home page, you click the politics link on the toolbar near the top of the screen. This will take you to the main politics screen.

I registered for each site, but I found that Fox News was the most difficult, because they required me to fill out my country and zip code, unlike the other two sites. Once you finish registering you need to retype one of those codes to insure that you are actually a person. Once I registered I was able to navigate the site easily.

An interesting observation I found was that the site is very poll driven. On their main page, they had many links to different polls. The site appears to rely on user input and opinions. They had a main poll about Obama’s approval rating. Interestingly enough, the readers of fox news gave him a positive approval rating, even though they are a conservative site, which is the reason I chose this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment