But then again, sites like Migente cater to a different audience, one that embraces the quirky and sometimes tacky customizations that made Myspace so popular at one time. Danny made a reference in class about how Facebook is like the suburbs; nice, clean, and orderly, and Myspace is like the city, cluttered, noisy, and filled with people of color. Its no surprise that Migente, an obvious offshoot of Myspace, is full of latinos, obviously with a title like Migente thats what it was designed to be. It's a place where people who share common cultural, traditions, practices, and languages can get together, network with each other, connect, and customize their social networking site as an overt expression of themselves.
I will admit, Facebook has sterilized my tastes when it comes to SNS. Regardless, I feel like the reason I think these customizations are so cool is because I haven't seen or used them since Myspace. I would compare it to that feeling of nostalgia you get when you find your favorite toy from childhood. Although you don't really want to play with it because of the social backlash you might receive from society, its nevertheless something you used to enjoy, and it reminds you of your roots. Your SNS roots that is.
Here's a screenshot of one of the customization pages

No comments:
Post a Comment